Posted: 02 Jun 2021
Mr Ralph Ripples
Ralph has settled in well to school life. He is providing much entertainment and support to the students. He is growing quickly and really enjoys cuddles…..
There are a number of benefits to having dogs in school, especially for students with ASD, and we aim for the school dog to primarily become a well being nurture dog amongst other things. We have undertaken a significant amount of research and are aware of many benefits to having school dogs:
- Helping children build confidence in reading
- Having a calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties
- Improving children’s behaviour and concentration, reducing stress and improving self-esteem
- Encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children
- Fostering a sense of responsibility
- Increasing enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals which will motivate the children to think and learn
- Helping children who are upset in any way and in need of calm, comfort and space before being able to tell an adult what has upset them.
Remote Learning Video
Whilst we have not been able to capture all of the amazing work being done at school and at home, here is a short video giving a snap shot of the efforts from staff, students and parents.
Thank you to everyone for your hard work, creativity and enthusiasm towards ensuring learning continues whether at school or at home.